The average American household spends over $2,000-$3,000 a year on utility bills. The money that goes to these utilities could be spent more wisely elsewhere like education for example! There are many ways you can save electricity and natural gas in your home or even business – the key is how well it uses energy. A few tips include becoming an expert at efficiency and making sure all of your appliances are qualified as ENERGY STAR® products so they work efficiently with less cost than some other brands out there.
To help save energy and reduce your electricity bill each month we have put together this list of 4 ways to save money in your home. These tips are easy to implement and will make an immediate difference in lowering your monthly expenses.
Tip #1. Install programmable thermostats.
Programmable thermostats allow you to set different temperature settings for specific periods throughout the day which helps regulate how much energy is needed at certain times.
During the day, keep your thermostat below 78 degrees Fahrenheit. If you don’t have natural light in your home and are worried about forgetting to turn off appliances later on with a manual switch, open up window shades so that it is easier for you to tell if something needs turning back off manually before heading out of the house at night or coming home from work.
Tip #2. Use energy saving light bulbs.
Energy saving light bulbs use 2-10 watts less than standard incandescent bulbs so they provide more light but use less energy.
Light bulbs are one of the most popular energy-saving purchases. There is a variety, but two main types you should know about when purchasing light bulbs for your home or store: compact fluorescent lamps (CFLs) and light emitting diodes (LEDs). CFLs may initially cost more than regular incandescent lights, however they will let you save on electricity consumption in the long run because their efficiency lasts longer than other traditional bulb options which means less wasted money spent over time. LEDs work similarly to CFLS at first glance; since both use significantly lower wattage compared to traditional lighting choices while also lasting much longer per bulb. They’re typically found in hardware stores as well as departmental retailers like Target and WalMart.
Tip #3. Choose energy efficient air conditioning.
If you’re considering an energy efficient air conditioner, then we have some good news for you! Energy efficient AC units are not only more eco-friendly than their less environmentally conscious counterparts, they also save money on electricity bills in the long run. Consider these four points before making your decision about which AC unit to purchase this summer:
- Energy efficient AC units use approximately 20% of the power that standard models use;
- These units do not require scheduled maintenance;
- Air conditioners with better efficiency ratings typically have a lower up-front cost;
Inexpensive energy efficient AC units are available for purchase, and if you’re lucky enough to have air conditioning in your apartment or condo unit then it’s worth the investment. You’ll be saving money on monthly electric bills while enjoying cool temperatures during the summer heat wave!
Tip #4. Make use of mother nature.
The world is in need of a solution to the energy crisis, and many people are looking for ways to reduce their consumption. The good news is that you can save energy without having to cut back on your lifestyle! There are three things you can do to conserve energy: natural air, natural light, and water conservation.
- Consider using green insulation, which blocks heat from entering your home but still allows fresh air to circulate. This type of insulation is better than traditional fiber because it will keep you warm while also helping the environment!
- When you turn on the lights to a room, make sure that they are needed. You might also consider utilizing natural light during early morning hours when there is more of it and using solar powered bulbs for night time use which will save electricity without sacrificing any lighting quality.
- To reduce your water bill, it is important to conserve any excess use. When brushing teeth for example, try not to let the faucet run when scrubbing toothpaste from the bristles of a brush or making sure food does not splash into dishes by washing them in batches and using no dish-washing detergent. There are also many more subtle ways that you can save money on utilities such as keeping cars cool while parked during hot summer days rather than running fans until they stop working at all hours of day.
We’ve talked about a few ways to save money on your bills, but there are so many more! What are you doing to cut back on your household expenses? Let us know in the comments below. Or better yet, give our team of experts a call at 1300 4COSTA (1300 426782) for one appointment and we’ll consult with you for free about how best to reduce your monthly payments and increase savings.